Surplus District Material


The surplus procedures below were developed in accordance with:

District Policy 6881 – Disposal of Surplus Property

District Regulation 6881R – Disposal of Surplus Equipment and/or Materials

RCW 28A.335.180 – Surplus texts and other educational aids

Surplus Topics Covered:

General Surplus Procedure

Surplus ASB or Athletic Equipment

Surplus or Obsolete Library/Text Books & Technology Related Items

Broken or Non-Repairable Items

Surplus Athletic Clothing or Uniforms

Donating or Selling Surplus Materials or Equipment

General Surplus Procedure

Occasionally there are items in a school or department that are no longer used or needed but are still in useable condition. Other items may be broken and either repairable or non-repairable. These items can be surplused from your site via the following procedure:

1)       Contact district buildings/sites via email to determine if the items are needed elsewhere in the district.  The advertisement must be in place for one week before moving on to the next step.

2)      Complete and submit a Moving Request Form to the Logistic Support Center for those items that are claimed by another location.

3)      For surplus items not claimed by another location, complete a Surplus Materials Form.  This form is dual purpose – it is both a request for items to be surplused AND an LSC Move Request to have the items removed from your building. A separate Move Request card is NOT required.

4)       The Surplus Materials Form must be signed by the building or department administrator. If the items being surplused were purchased using the budget of one of the following departments, approval is also required from the appropriate administrator prior to any surplus action: Career & Technical Education, Special Education, Music Programs, Athletics.

5)      Attach a copy of the Surplus Bulletin Board announcement to the Surplus Materials Form

6)      Send the Surplus Materials Form to the Logistic Support Center (LSC) to start the surplus process and schedule pickup of the surplus materials.

7)      The Logistic Support Center forwards all surplus materials and equipment requests to the Purchasing Department, which initiates the process to obtain Board approval for all surplus items.

8)      Following Board approval, useable items are transported to State of Washington Surplus (Department of Enterprise Services) for public sale.

Surplus Athletic or ASB Equipment

Surplus athletic equipment or other equipment purchased with ASB funds shall follow the same procedures as noted above.

Surplus or Obsolete Library/Text Books & Technology Related Items

1)      Contact the Textbook & Media Center at x8874 for removal of ALL library or text books, whether the items are in useable condition or severely damaged.

2)      Contact the online ITC Help Center or at x8600 for removal of ALL computer or technology related items, whether they are useable or non-useable.

Broken or Non-Repairable Items

Small and/or low-value items (less than $100 original price) that are broken, non-repairable, severely damaged and/or determined to be unusable do not have to be declared surplus – they may be discarded as garbage.  When declaring such items as disposable garbage, caution and conservative judgment are advised.

Large and/or high dollar value items ($100 or greater original price) or items that can be recycled must be listed on the Surplus Materials Form and will be recycled or disposed of by the Logistic Support Center.  As some of these items may be listed as a District fixed asset, their disposal will first need to be approved by the school Board and then processed by the Accounting Department so the disposal can be recorded in the fixed assets system. 

Surplus Athletic Clothing or Uniforms

Old athletic clothing or uniforms may be sold to staff and students as “spirit gear” via the following procedure:

1)      It is NOT necessary to advertise the clothing or uniforms on the District Surplus Bulletin Board.

2)      Complete a Surplus Materials Form.  As these items will not be removed from the school site, indicate “N/A” in the Pickup Location and Requested Pickup Date fields.

3)      List all the different types of clothing and/or uniforms that will be surplused – and indicate the quantity of each item.  In the “Enter Condition” field, enter “ASB Sale – Spirit Gear”.

4)      Forward the Surplus Materials Form directly to the Purchasing Department (not LSC).

5)      The Purchasing Department will initiate the process to obtain Board approval for the surplus items, and will notify the school contact person after Board approval has been received.

6)      Following Board approval, the ASB student council must approve the fundraiser.  All applicable ASB fundraiser forms and procedures must be completed for the fundraiser (project proposal, inventory counts, final reconciliation, etc.)

7)      Take a physical count of all items before the sale.  Have a set price for each type of item and make a note of the selling prices (for reconciliation purposes after the fundraiser). 

8)      After the sale, take a physical count of the remaining items (if any) and reconcile the items sold to the amount deposited. 

9)      Create a fundraiser folder and keep all related documents.

10)  NOTE:  This procedure only applies to clothing like pants, shirts, jerseys, jackets or warm-ups.  It does not apply to athletic equipment or football helmets.

Donating or Selling Surplus Materials or Equipment

Per RCW 28A.335.180, school districts may grant surplus materials and equipment to a federal, state or local government entity, or to indigent persons, at no cost on the condition the property be used for preschool through twelfth grade education purposes.  Please contact the Purchasing Department if your school or department is planning on donating any item to another school district or government entity.

The school district cannot broker a sale to private entities (non-governmental), staff or community members of surplus materials or equipment.  These items were purchased with public funds and must be sold at an open public sale. 

The District typically transfers all useable surplus materials and equipment to the State of Washington Surplus in Olympia, which holds the public sale on the District’s behalf.  Persons or entities interested in acquiring some of the District’s surplus items can contact the State of Washington Surplus at the following link: